Design Build Construction General Contractor
As a design build general construction contractor, the owner contracts with PRO Building Systems, Inc. to provide both design and construction services. It is often called a TURNKEY contract.
The design build approach replaces the traditional method of awarding separate contracts for design and for construction. On a design build construction contract the contractor and architect/engineer are allied and work together to serve the owner. The owner, contractor, and architect/engineer work as a TEAM to design and build a project that satisfies the needs of the owner.
Your benefits are:
- Single Source Responsibility
- “In-House” Design and Construction Project Management and Coordination
- Construction Budgeting throughout the entire process
- One Stop Shop for Site Design, Architectural Design, Structural / Mechanical / Electrical & Plumbing Consultants and Top Quality Building Construction Management
This TEAM approach fosters cooperation and coordination among team members that results in effective problem solving and quality project outcomes.
Here is a good example of a phase-by-phase service proposal to an owner proposed by a top professional design/build team and their consultants.
PHASE I – Preliminary Feasibility
- Market study
- Economic analysis
- Pro Forma
- Budget limitations
- Availability of financing
PHASE II – Facility Investigation and Development
- Existing facility study
- New facility and land needs
- Overall site analysis
- Building and fire zoning
- Building codes and ordinances
- Traffic ingress/egress study
- Utilities availability and cost
- Review feasibility budget (+-20%)
PHASE III – Preliminary Design
- Review of design checklists
- Land survey
- Soil borings
- Site development and land use study
- Floor plan study and sketches
- Elevation study and sketches
- Design concept studies
- Structural studies
- Foundation studies
- Mechanical systems studies
- Electrical studies
- Life cycle cost analysis
- Maximum value recommendations
- Optional Artist’s preliminary rendering
- Establish schematic budget (+-10%)
PHASE IV – Design Development and Construction Documents
- Site development and plot plan
- Floor plans and schedules
- Elevations and architectural details
- Structural plans and calculations
- Mechanical plans and schedules
- Electrical plans and schedule
- Technical specifications
- Complete finish and decorating schedule
- Landscaping plan
- Artist’s rendering
- Confirmation of construction budget (+-5%)
PHASE V – Construction
- Build it
- Inspect and test critical items
- Negotiate changes as required
- Prepare and document for final acceptance
- Clean up
- Assist with equipment and system start up
PHASE VI – After the Move
- Evaluation and recommendations
- Service problems and warranties
- Perform continuing consultation
ADVANTAGES OF DESIGN BUILD
- You get early cost input from the contractor. A price is put on conceptual design ideas as they are developed.
- A GUARANTEED MAXIMUM PRICE can be determined early; right after the scope of the project is established.
- Time can be saved because construction can begin before the design is completed. Example: architect could be completing interior designs while the site and foundation work is underway. This technique is called FAST TRACKING.
- The need for high cost change orders is eliminated.
- Architectural and engineering fees are kept to a minimum, and determined from the beginning.
- Contractor fees are kept to a minimum and are determined from the beginning.
- Legal fees are kept to a minimum by eliminating the adversary roles.
- Construction costs are minimized by using the latest systems and methods that the contractor KNOWS are cost effective.
- Chances for misunderstandings are minimized with the team approach.
- You get the best ideas from your team members due to the cooperative team spirit.
- Realistic completion dates are established by the contractor who will do the work.
- You can take advantage of special services such as a preliminary feasibility study, value engineering, and life cycle cost analysis.